Friday, May 29, 2009

4 Days to Go

I don't know how many people actually read this anymore, but I felt the need for an update. I had a normal visit yesterday with my OB. While there, my blood pressure was elevated, my legs/ankles/feet were huge, and I had gained 6 pounds (mostly fluid) in a week. So...my doctor was not happy with all of that and had me admitted to the hospital for tests and monitoring.

This morning, I was told that I had the beginnings of preeclampsia. You can look it up to know more (this is a pretty good site), but basically it is something in pregnancy that deals with edema (swelling), protein in the urine, and high blood pressure. It can lead to nerve damage and a lot of other bad things. People with diabetes have a higher risk of developing preeclampsia. But, like I said, I don't have full-blown preeclampsia, only a "touch" of it.

With all of that being said, I am scheduled to have Kara via c-section next Tuesday, June 2. I will be one day shy of 37 weeks. The main reason for the section is the baby's size. Yesterday at my appointment, the ultrasound measured her as already being 7 pounds 12 ounces.

Well, that is pretty much it! I may be posting a baby picture with my next update! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read...so keep blogging! I'll be thinking about you this week. Praying that everything goes smoothly for you and Kara! (love the name)

Angela said...

Sorry to hear about the pre-e. I hope you have a safe and easy delivery and miss Kara is a healthy sweet baby girl. I will be thinking and praying for you both! YAY!! How exciting! Cannot wait to see pics!